Classroom and Grading Policies
Welcome to English I at West Texas High School. I am so excited to have you in my class this year!
Here are a few things you will need to know:
- Be on time – If you are not in the room when the bell rings, you will be counted absent and will be required to go to the office to get a tardy slip
- No Cell Phones – Cell phones will turned off and be placed in the cell phone pockets located on the front wall. Cell phones caught during class will be taken up and sent to the office. Students who have their phones taken will be able to sign for them back at the end of the day in the office. On the third time (school-wide), a parent will be required to come to the office to sign for the phone.
- Bathroom – Please use the restroom between classes. You will not be allowed to leave the room unless
- Daily Assignments/Bell Work – Daily assignments and Bell work must be completed in class unless time runs over. In the case time runs over, it will be homework and be due the next day.
- Reading Assignments – We will have weekly reading time (Fridays). You must have your book with you on these days.
- Notebooks and Folders- These will be left in the room at all times for your daily use.
- Make-up work – If you are absent, you have 3 days to make up your work. If you need to re-take a test or quiz, you will need to set up a time with me to do so. For extra-curricular absences, it is your responsibility to get work AHEAD OF TIME or make arrangements to make it up.
- In-School Suspension (ISS) – All work assigned while in ISS must be completed in ISS. Work not done during ISS may not be made up and will receive a Zero.
- – Students caught cheating will be given a Zero. This includes students who helped others cheat.
- – Re-tests to improve a grade must be done within a week. The maximum grade for a re-test will be 70.
- Grading Scale – Grades will be assigned according to the following scale: 90 – 100 = A; 80 – 89 = B; 70 – 79 = C; Below 70 = F
- Grading percentages – The breakdown of grade percentages are as follows: Daily Assignments – 35%; Bell Work/Participation – 15%; Assessments – 50%
- Parent Portal/Student Portal – Grades will be posted as quickly as possible and may be accessed by parents through the Parent Portal or by students through the Student Portal. Parent Portal: https://ascenderportals04.region16.net/ParentPortal/login?distid=117904 Student Portal: https://ascenderportals04.region16.net/StudentPortal/login?distid=117904
- Communication & Conferences – If parents have any questions or concerns, they should not hesitate to contact me at email@example.com or by calling the school at 878-2456 ext 113. If you leave a voicemail, I will call you back. My conference time will be during 7th period, 1:16 PM - 2:03 PM. If we need to meet in person, please set up a day with me during that time.
Remember, if I don’t know there is a problem, I can’t help fix it.